What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Moon landing, Stewart's birthday...

I'm sure I'll come up with some crazy connection to these two seemingly disparate events, later. Stewart turned 17 in 1969. I wonder what he thought of it all? Men on the moon, space? Or maybe our boy just had girls on his mind?

(He refers to his "rancid date" in the Klark Kent song "Away From Home" - is that the type of girl he liked? What's that mean, anyway?)

According to Wikipedia, Sting says the song "Walking On the Moon" is about love. Well, duh. He goes on to name the woman he was supposedly dating at the time (her name was Deborah Anderson). Wouldn't you like to be that woman? I mean, personally, Sting, with his nose job and yoga master body doesn't do it for me, but still - to be that woman would be pretty damn cool. I wonder if they keep in touch? I wonder if she thinks he's an ass? I wonder who Stewart was dating in 1979 (just 10 years after the actual moon landing), when they recorded the song? He wasn't married yet to that woman from Curved Air... one day I'd like a rundown, with pictures, of all his paramours and wives.

("One day" - as if! Yes, one day we'll be sitting down to tea, wearing robes or dressing gowns [why not?], and Stewart and I will be having a pleasant conversation [about...?] and it will innocently come up: "Tell me about all your women!" and he will. And then I'll crawl off to go have a good cry in the bathroom.)

Here's a quote from Stewart about women (he's talking about being in the Police):

"There were fun times too, though,' he smiles. 'I was never into drugs, but, of course, there were women and I wasn't married then so there was no problem. Our first break in England was, let's face it, as a boy band and there were lots of fans. But, eventually, I started to feel guilty - you realise that these girls are somebody's daughter and, in a weird kind of way, we were taking something from them that we shouldn't have done. They were dealing with a fantasy and we weren't that fantasy in real life and, eventually, there was a feeling of guilt there."

WHAT? Not that fantasy in real life? Dude. Someone just commented to me that if you'd told her when she was a teenager that love is cuddling and figuring out where/what to eat, she would've been shocked and appalled. As a married woman of 11 years, I know that love is dirty socks and underwear, hairy legs, prickly moustaches, bills, open bathroom doors, misunderstandings and growing old. AND cuddling and figuring out where/what to eat. Real love versus fantasy? I TAKE IT. Either one.

(Actually, now that I think about it, I think my friend was actually commenting on the reality of living with someone you love, versus the idealized version of them that you keep when you both go to your own separate abodes at the end of the day. Oh, well. It's a good point, nevertheless. Sorry, Cristina, I misquoted you.)

Hmm. I also like the "he smiles" in the previous quote from Stewart. It's a three year old interview, but all of a sudden? I'm smiling.

I just recently saw the video for "Walking On the Moon" (how I missed it all these years, I can't explain), and I love how Stewart, banger of drums, is playing the rocket (Wikipedia says it's a Saturn V - those are big-ass rockets) with sticks.

You can play my Saturn V rocket, Stewart. Happy birthday!

There! See? I knew I could make a (spurious) connection! Or lacking connection, a slightly flirtatious, certainly juvenile, and inappropriate comment! I did it!

(Stewart is currently married to Fiona Dent Copeland. A quick search on Google, which could be wrong, indicates that Fiona Dent is an artist. The subject matter Ms. Dent, who may or may not be the lovely Mrs. Copeland, deals with is, um, female genitalia, and appears to involve a lot of cutting and barbed wire and stuff. Fiona, I may love your husband but you scare the hell out of me, so just so you know, I have the highest respect for marriage in general, your marriage in particular, for my marriage of course, for everybody's marriage - this is all fantasy. Nothing to worry about here! Thank You!)

No comments: