What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Trojan Women" opens next Friday!

Besides the cue to cue on Saturday (where, as I've said before, if I haven't read the play or talked to the actors beforehand, I learn nothing about what the show is actually about, because the moments of actual "show" that I see are fleeting, and, I usually have my hands full of lightboard and sound cues), I've seen the new show at City Garage exactly... once. There's been one tech rehearsal so far (Tuesday), and I managed to cough my way through it. As usual there's that one spot that - right now - feels impossible (for me) but I'm confident that Charles will work it out to be doable and that I will eventually understand what I need to do.

I don't want to talk too much about the shows anymore on my blogs... now that I know more than a couple people (I think I've moved on to at least "a few") read this, and some of them are associated with City Garage, or some of them might be inclined to go to a show, I don't want to accidentally say anything that would spoil anybody's experience. I think mostly what I've written in the past is about my own lack of confidence or shall we say fear about being there, but I think by now it would be better for everyone if you'd just assume that I am confident, capable, and professional when I work up there in the booth. And: I usually am. Surprising, that.

The one thing I would like to say now: I invited Stewart Copeland to come to this show, on a whim, totally not expecting him to come, but wanting to do something for him; but now that I've seen and heard the words of "The Trojan Women" as written by Charles Duncombe and realized by Frederique Michel, it hit me on Tuesday that I could not have chosen a better show to invite a famous person. Seriously. Mr. Copeland has been commenting on fame and fans and these topics, surprisingly, are dealt with in the show in a way in which I think he can relate.

We'll see.

Stewart, just a reminder: I'm there every night except Thanksgiving weekend, so whenever you wish to come, please be sure to wave at me in the booth, and yes, I am available for drinks after the show.

No comments: