What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I think I might like to go to Dallas...

I just got word from the Dallas Observer that Stewart will be debuting a new piece next February (yep. Next year. Those classical people don't mess around). I've never been to Dallas. I wonder what it's like? It might be a nice birthday trip for me and Patrick. Then again, reviewing the weather for Dallas for this year, it sounds rainy and cold (by LA standards). Then again, this is a chance to see my man again! With sticks in his hands, presumably!

In a program led by Music Director Jaap van Zweden in February of 2011, Copeland's percussion concerto, titled Gamelan D'Drum, will receive its world premiere. Created in close collaboration with the Dallas Symphony and world music percussion group D'Drum, Copeland's work is promised to include influences from the traditional cultures of Bali, Africa, Persia and other locales, blended with the influences of Western classical and jazz forms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dallas in February is always delightful. Go.
If only to hear what promises to be a great piece and chill with other similarly minded SC admirers.

Irene Palma said...

"similarly minded"?!

I should HOPE not!