What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Dear Stewart,

Hey, man! What's up? How are you?

It's been two weeks since my show closed, and there are good things and bad things about that. For one thing, my weekends are free. A good thing, right? Sure, as it means I get to spend more time with Patrick and more time at home and I can do other things and I don't have to drive 64 miles (round trip) alone (my friend is still being a dick, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. I am still assuming I didn't do anything, but who knows?) and yes: those are mostly good things. But I miss it.

As I've said before, my job over there is pretty easy. It involves no creativity or judgment on my part. I watch and listen and I do what I was told, when I was told, how I was told. In the moments of free time that I get, I daydream and doodle. I blow my nose, if nose-blowing is required. If members not performing that night haven't stepped up, I do box office (secret: I love doing box office, but I bitch about it because I'm already there doing a job). I drink a couple Diet Cokes. Then when it's all over, I shut everything down, close up the booth, wave goodbye to people who are talking to other people in the lobby, and I go home. It doesn't sound all that glamorous or particularly fun, does it? And sometimes it's not - sometimes I'm in a bad mood. Sometimes I'm in a sad mood. Being there doesn't necessarily alleviate any of that. But I miss it.

In five weeks or so I start going for technical rehearsals and cue-to-cue and I get to see what's up next and what it's going to look and sound like, and I'm getting very excited about that! During that time, there are other things going on: Patrick's band is playing on Wednesday; I have a flute choir concert to play in; I'm going to see Robert Langevin at CSULB, my parents will have their wedding anniversary; my friend is running in the LA Marathon... but still. I'm starting to get excited about what's next.

Maybe you are too? What's up next for you?

Love you,
Irene

No comments: