What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Dear Stewart,

I missed you.

On November 22, you appeared at an event at the Grammy museum that, when I learned of it about a week before it happened, I was pretty excited about. Patrick even agreed to go.

Unfortunately, it was on a Monday (work) night and in Hollywood - not very convenient for me. And then while I was still considering it, I got sick. In the last two weeks I've had some interesting stomach problems (twice, now) about which (in case you get concerned about stuff like this) I've already consulted my doctor. As far as I know everything's okay, but you know, I want to be careful. I didn't think it was appropriate to go when I wasn't feeling well, though I was disappointed.

I hope it went well.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry I couldn't make it. There's a lot going on right now in my life - my parents have some health issues, I have three upcoming recitals for which I'm a tad under-rehearsed, I'm 8 weeks away from having a baby, and I have all the various household, practical and emotional preparations to do that come with that. Oh yeah, and it's Christmas. I hope to be able to keep in touch with you, but I also hope that you will understand that, as one-sided as these conversations have been (and that's still lots of fun for me), I'm not sure if I'll be able to devote the same amount of time to it. I'll try, but I can't promise. I hope you understand.

Love you,
Irene

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you are doing so much better than I was at eight weeks away.
If this had been written by me it would have been a tearful screamfest about how Stewart hadn't accompanied me ANY of my sonograms or OB appointments even thought he wasn't the father.
STILL, I should have some SUPPORT!
Anyway, getting back to reality, I saw my lilliputian friend Andy Summers after thinking I wouldn't make the National Geographic Rock and roll photography lecture.
Little guy has still got it!

Irene Palma said...

What are you talking about, "even though he isn't the father"?????

Anonymous said...

I mean he wasn't the father of any of MY children. Or was he? How can he even keep track anymore? He's got seven which anyone with children knows means - more than 3 + any additional # = 4,579,098 kids.
Or at least that's what they sound like when they are trying to have a screaming contest in your back seat while hitting each other with the fossilized chicken nuggets you neglected to clean out from last summer.
Sorry.
Your baby will never do that.

Irene Palma said...

Patrick still won't even consider the name "Stewart" for our son, and I've tried sneaking "Ian" onto the ever-changing list, which I think would be a lovely tribute to the Copeland family, but he just won't go for it.

I mean Stewart has a son named Patrick, wouldn't it be cute if we had a son named Stewart?

(Google "Patrick Copeland" and you will find a dude who's a composer... but he looks way too old to be the right Patrick Copeland. Or at least I hope he's the wrong one. There's no way he's Fiona's son, anyway.)

Anyway, you just can't reason with some men sometimes.