What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dear Stewart,

Hey, man! How are you?

We had an exciting weekend. I sort of wrote about it over on my other blog, but since I didn't give any details over there, either, I'm not going to provide you with a link.

Let's just say it had a little bit of everything, and by "everything," I mean literally everything.

By Sunday night my husband and I were pretty wiped out. We were tired and a little cranky. Jules was feeling a lot better by Sunday, but we were all pretty exhausted. At dinner time we turned on the TV. I only had one request ("let's watch something for grownups please"), and Patrick turned to VH1 (I think it was VH1... maybe it was Fuse), which was playing a bunch of live Foo Fighters videos. Or, I don't know, it could've been a whole concert movie: we weren't paying a lot of attention. We look to the Foos for mindless entertainment, and god, do they ever provide it. All I know is Pat Smear wasn't in the band, if that helps anyone pinpoint what it might've been that we were watching.

I think you know how I feel about Dave Grohl (or, if you don't, no worries). I don't know if you know how I feel about Taylor Hawkins. How could you, when I'm not really sure myself? For one thing, the guy is just too blond. It's a little intimidating. And he has the longest arms of any drummer I've ever seen. And the facial hair is usually ridiculous. He's got that goofball look on his face all the time, too. I mean, I don't know: I like drummers, I like goofy guys... but I guess I'm so sort of ambivalent about the Foo Fighters (I can hear somebody out there going: "Ambivalent my ass!"), I just haven't thought about him very much. Hey, you know, life gets busy. I'm pretty sure he never thinks about me. (Taylor, if you're reading this, I love your playing in "Bridge Burning.") Other than a really old episode of MTV Cribs (where, if my memory is correct, he showed off a whole set of drums previously owned by you), I don't think I've ever heard him speak; I have no idea what that guy is like.

But watching the Foo Fighter videos, I saw some pretty cool interaction between Dave Grohl and Taylor, and I realized that I don't need to hear him speak to know what he's like. I forget which song they were performing (it was something that was a huge sing-a-long, and Patrick said, sarcastically, "Who has a better sing-a-long? The Foo Fighters or U2?" I said, "Sssh, something's happening here!"). The band was playing, but Dave had his back to the camera and the audience, and was standing in front of Taylor, who was looking right at him. The camera stayed on them both, and I watched Taylor's face light up with a big gorgeous smile. Who knows what Dave was saying? Who knows if they could even hear each other? But the camera stayed on them for a long time. It was a very sweet moment.

"Look, Patrick! They're saying 'I love you'!" I said. Patrick scoffed.

Fine: maybe they weren't. But it was beautiful to see anyway.

Love you,
Irene

No comments: