What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

This is not a book review

I finished reading Andy's book today. Patrick got up early and went to the swap meet, and though I did continue to sleep for about a half hour after he left, I woke up eventually and hit the book, which I started reading around 9:30 last night.

At 2:30 p.m., taking a few Scrabble and bathroom breaks, I finished it.

Andy is a very intelligent man, much more accomplished on the guitar than I ever gave him credit for, well-read, interesting - he seems like a lovely guy. And wow, his dedication to the guitar is fascinating. He didn't have much to say about Stewart in the book, but I thought that his comments about Sting were measured and fair.

I mean, I'm not a huge Sting fan anyway, and Andy's comments didn't make me like him or dislike him any more than I already do, so I guess while I come out of the experience of reading the book with slightly more information, I'm more or less where I always was in regards to Sting. I've heard both Stewart and now Andy talk about Sting's excellent song-writing ability, and this may be true, but his solo stuff, in a word, sucks, so maybe the magic of the two of them is required to make me enjoy Sting's music.

I love his voice, though, when he's singing Police songs, and I love him as part of a that particular trio, and I guess that's saying something nice about him (and he was, and is, a very attractive man).

Anyway, the book was enjoyable to read. Andy's been everywhere and done everything, and those kinds of people are almost always interesting. He also has a great sense of humor. I think I'm going to go dig up our copy of his album "I Advance Masked" and give it another listen.

1 comment:

bella said...

Excellent book. Andy is the zen master of guitar..and life for that matter.

I Advance Mask. Have that on Cassette. Good stuff.