What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Elvis Costello's new show

The other day I read an article, in some UK online newspaper, about Elvis Costello's new show Spectacle. I saw the Lou Reed episode (and was fine with it until Julian Schnabel came out. Julian's whole thing was a little overbearing and -dare I say it?- gross to me), and I have the Bill Clinton one taped and ready to go. I guess the folks in the UK are getting to see the episodes before those of us in the the states (is States supposed to be capitalized?), because the article was a review of the interview Elvis did with The Police, which, as far as I know, hasn't been on yet over here. (Since then I've read a couple more British reviews of the show, and one of them actually wishes there was "less music" and more "interviewing" going on during Elvis' show. I sincerely love musicians, and some of them are amazing people as well, but mostly, I just want to look at them and watch them play. I much prefer to read an interview like that to watch it. Just seems a bit boring to me, and I like Elvis Costello a lot.)

Anyway, all the reviewer did in this article was complain about the American audience, make disparaging comments about Jools Holland's "boogie woogie" piano (Jools' show is okay, but we don't watch very often. Also, you might like to watch Jools interview Stewart Copeland... here and here), and criticize the size of Stewart Copeland's face, which I think is rude and juvenile. I haven't made fun of the size of anybody's face or head since at least 1990. I'm pretty sure the reviewer was older than I was, and it's probably time to think about not mocking people for their unfortunate (or fortunate, what the hell do I know) physical attributes.

It may be that Stewart's head is a tad large-ish, but it's a fine face, and I for one like it. I like it very much. I like his big nose, his aggressive chin - his deep set eyes: it's a great looking face, that one. Sure, maybe he acts a bit juvenile in front of cameras and when in close proximity to the totally tiresome Sting. Wouldn't you?

Drummers are allowed to be ridiculous. How else are they supposed to keep all their body parts in motion at once? It's magic is what that is, and without a laugh or silliness in there somewhere, who would care, anyway? Keith Moon was obviously 100% joker, and I bet even ol' Ayn Rand loving Neil Peart laughs at himself once in awhile (he must). And Terry Bozzio - who couldn't laugh at that hairdo? I bet Kenny Aronoff was a hoot! Jeff Porcoro was surely having fun when he recorded "Rosanna." Mick Fleetwood seems like he has a wicked sense of humor. And Bill Bruford... well. Bill's probably not that funny at all. But damn can that guy play.

This theory obviously needs a bit of work.

No comments: