What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stewart Copeland in San Diego

I have 7 minutes in which to complete a transaction which would buy me tickets in August to see a new commissioned work by Stewart Copeland (and two other insignificant* composers) and for some reason I am stalling.

According to Google maps, La Jolla is 1 hour, 38 minutes from my home. It's on a Friday (August 21. That's someone's birthday but I, in my moment of confusion, can't recall whose). There are still many good $40 seats available (I think they only went on sale yesterday or something).

Here is my quandry:

Am I interested in going because I am interested in his music? I think his piece is for percussion. This might be something I should know.

Or.

Am I interested in going because I am harboring a silly, ridiculous fantasy that he reads this blog and therefore will be looking for me (and Patrick) in the cheap seats I am holding and I will meet him again and this time be able to say something other than "wow" and I will get a photo and maybe a hug and/or an invitation to, oh, I don't know, go to Italy with him?

Or.

Am I interested in going because 20 years ago he was a beautiful, attractive man but now he's gray-haired and thin and old... and I have a desire to see him while I am still raven-haired (well, only if I keep my hair appointments... see below) and relatively youthful (in comparison) and if I keep going to the gym I might even be thin enough to take a second look at by August? (Wow. That's a sick thing for me to even be thinking, let alone typing here.)

Shit. No time to consider that, because time is ticking away.

I might also be stalling because just last night Patrick reminded me of our trip to D.C. next month and that we need to save (rather than spend!) money, and I'm supposed to get my hair done this week so this would be two pretty big expenses (on top of some other stuff I've been doing, which I won't reveal here) for me in one week and I don't particularly want to cancel my hair appointment...

Oh! Fuck it. I will cancel the hair appointment. I want Stewart Copeland. It can only happen if we are in the same place at the same time. No guts, no glory! Thank you. Decision made.

*Insignificant only because I am too ignorant to know who they are, and too distracted to care right now. They might be the world's next Stravinksy and Beethoven; what the hell do I know? I'm just a horny nerd.

...

Update added later:

From stewartcopeland.net: Copeland will also be composing a new piece of music to be performed with red fish blue fish, a University of California, San Diego resident percussionist ensemble. The piece has been specially commissioned for La Jolla Music Society's SummerFest, which will take place on Aug. 21, 2009.

According to the SummerFest website, the new piece is called "Celeste," and it's for violin and piano, with optional percussion. I'm a little confused, because I thought this was a world premiere but Schirmer's web site indicates that this piece premiered in 2008 (and also reminds us that Stewart was born in 1952, a good 20 years before me)? Maybe this isn't the world premiere?

All that time ago, when Patrick and I met him at Guitar Center in Hollywood, Patrick tried to help me come up with some questions or conversation starters for when we were face-to-face with him (Patrick is truly the world's nicest, most understanding husband), and one of the questions Patrick suggested I ask was, "When are you going to write something for flute?" Looks like he still hasn't. He rarely uses flute, or if he does, it looks like it's a double part for a clarinet/sax player. I still have no desire to learn a reed instrument at my age. Not that I could play his music, anyway, probably.

Wait, maybe I read the SummerFest website wrong. I think they're performing a New Commission (no name listed), as well as his pieces "Kaya," "Gene Pool," and "Celeste." Ah ha. I get it now.

I've just added "Wall Street" to my Netflix cue. I've already seen "Rumble Fish." I'm not sure I can take "Babylon V."

I took a quick look at the two other guys (Paul Schoenfield and George Tsontakis) and their Wikipedia entries indicate that they're both talented and successful. And older than Stewart Copeland. Of the three, he's the baby. And the cutest, I must say (no offence, George, Paul).

No comments: