What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Subject::

Today is one of those days where I seem to possess the ability to write many words about nothing at all. I wish I could make this stuff up, but unfortunately, it's all real. Follows is part of an email trail between my friend Andrea and I. We're still working on this one, so check back for more if you so desire. Why you would so desire is beyond me.

...

From: Andrea
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:16 PM
To: Irene
Subject:

Err…… you really are a fan, huh? You know too much about his whereabouts. Ew. I thought next Friday was too soon. Clearly we’ve both over-thought this venture a little much. Wait, I’m getting confused. I’ve had a headache all day but…. did you mean Thursday the 13th or Friday the 14th? This Thursday is the 6th? Are you looking at last year’s calendar or something? Uh…… Chicago???? WTH? Cookies??? Is there a Pilsbury bake-off I’m missing?

From: Irene
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:56 PM
To: Andrea
Subject: RE:

Helloo, Souper Pooper! You read my mind: I am ready for a visit as well. However, August is fraught with hazards (what is wrong with me today?). On August 21, we're driving down to San Diego to kidnap Stewart Copeland; er, I mean, to hear some UCSD percussion group (called "red fish blue fish" I believe) perform the WORLD PREMIERE of a newly commissioned thing of his. You know: music, it's what the man does when he's not reading my blog(s). It has only occurred to me fairly recently that the Great Former Blond Known As My Future Husband No. 2 may not even be there (is it customary for composers to attend their WORLD PREMIERES? How the heck should I know?), as he has been working on the music for the Ben Hur EXTRAVAGANZA in London (or is it Germany?). Anyway, execrable long story short, no, I am not available on 8/21. And on 8/28 I'll be in Chicago, hopefully with cookies firmly in my belly. I'm not even going to look at the hotel lobby planters.

I am, however, available on the following dates: 1) This Thursday (August 7). Is that too immediate or too closely on the heels of our last tete-a-tete (thought it really doesn't count, as we were accompanied by ALAG (she's not that little), and I think a tete-a-tete is two people only. I don't know for sure but seriously, if I use the dictionary more than 2 times for an email to you I start to get a headache). I do have a doctor's appointment at Kaiser but it's at 10:40 in the morning and nearby. I could conceivably even pick you up if you so desire, and maybe sneak in and see the remodeled hell-hole you've been working in. And laugh. Oh, I will laugh. 2) Next Thursday (August 14). Is that too immediate? I have nothing to do all day except wait for the time to come to pick up/be picked by Bo.

From: Andrea
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:35 PM
To: Irene
Subject:

We’re about due for a Souper Pooper visit, sans ALAG. Are you available August 21st? I’ll be puking in a Las Vegas Hotel lobby planter on the 28th.

No comments: