What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Come and see a show, man!

This weekend marks the fourth weekend of performances at City Garage of "The Trojan Women" by Charles Duncombe, and still: no Stewart Copeland. I know, because I've been to every performance, as well as helped out at the box office a couple of times. And I've peeked at the reservations for future performances, too.

(For those of you who need to be updated: about a month and a half ago, I presented Stewart Copeland with a touchingly homemade-looking postcard and passport to the theater, which would allow him four admissions to any show [note: the postcard was homemade because there were no official ones available yet at the time of his booksigning in Hollywood, so I had to make do with the laser printer and paper cutter at work. He recieved an actual passport, which was lovely and professionally printed, and allows the bearer to save 25% off the price of admission. If you're interested in getting one, send me an email or visit http://www.citygarage.org/], and, I hoped, my sincerity might've convinced him [or his lovely assistant] to call the theater and make a reservation. Hey: everybody has a dream, and this is mine.)

Anyway, so I was operating on the assumption that Stewart lives in Santa Monica (I got this in my head from somewhere and now I don't recall where I read it, exactly) and that our little theater, located in the heart of Santa Monica (with conveniently located parking) might interest him, that he would be curious to see a show that's an LA Times "Critic's Choice," and takes place right in his own backyard.

But nope: no phone call, no walk-in, no nothing.

Okay, so maybe I haven't given the guy (or his assistant) enough time. Maybe he's traveling, working, performing somewhere. Maybe he lives in Italy or Santa Barbara or someplace more exotic than North of Wilshire. Maybe he's just busy, or maybe he's afaid.

There is no reason to be afraid, Stewart. I have demonstrated my ability to be politely and goofily awed by your presence in a quiet way. I will be working if you come to the show, and therefore in my own head a little more than I was those other three times we "met." I will not embarrass you, myself, or the theater. Just come on down, won't you? I think you'd really, really enjoy the show. And what do you have to lose? The tickets were free, and you can use the passport in a multitude of ways: come yourself, four times; bring a friend, twice; or bring three friends, once. Really, with such flexibility, what's not to love about this deal? I might even buy you an ice cold Coke or 7-Up.

So call the theater at (310) 319-9939, and make your reservations. Just not for this weekend (November 28 and 29; no show Thanksgiving weekend on Friday), okay? I'm going to Vegas.

No comments: