What the hell is this?

I Can't Stand [Meeting] You is a collection of all the ridiculous things I've written to and about drummer and composer Stewart Copeland.

I actually did meet him for about five crazy seconds in 2007, again for a few exciting moments in August 2009, and my most recent (and most thrilling!) encounter took place in October 2009, where I proved myself capable of being, yet again, a total dork in the man's presence.

I can't believe what I get up to. And neither should you.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Either you are actually listening to me or it's a huge coincidence or...

Dear Stewart,

So, two weeks ago, on June 19th, you might remember that I wrote this, requesting your return to L.A. for a little while. You've been all over the place lately, it seems, and though I've been looking for opportunities in which to be in the same place at the same time as you, my lifestyle, family/work/financial situation, and powers of deduction just don't allow for me to do that.

For one thing, I have no idea where you are at any given moment. Literally. There is literally never any moment when I know where you are. I am not a stalker. (Yes, I would sign something if necessary.)

However, I can state, with some authority (because it relates to me in quite a personal way), that wherever you are, it is too far from me.

Then, this morning, at 3:30 a.m., when it just so happens that I was up with the baby, I heard the little buzz my phone makes when I get an email. Because I wasn't really doing anything else (he had already fallen back to sleep but I was still lying there, bleary-eyed), I decided to check it out.

You never know what those 3:30 a.m. emails are going to be, do you?

Anyway, it was my "stewart copeland" google alert, with the following 2 stories:

This one, from the L.A. Times, that was short and to the point (though... that photograph! I know for a fact that there are many, many, many more flattering photos of you out in the world. Why'd they pick that one??). The article was announcing that next year (2013!) Long Beach Opera would be bringing your opera "Tell-Tale Heart" to my town.

I liked this bit particularly:

The company said Copeland won't perform in the opera, but said that the former drummer of The Police is interested in attending the performances.


Dude! Give me a call! I'll go with you. Just let me know when you're going to pick me up and I will be ready.

And this one, from Broadway World. I sort of skimmed that one, because it was longer and didn't seem to have much about your own opera. But then I saw the little page 2 (I was really tired), so I clicked on it. And saw this:

          "It’s the throbbing part I particularly like.”

Me, too, Stewart. Meeeee tooooo.

Love you,
Irene



No comments: